Reproduction of MHS copyrighted materials requires the prior written consent of MHS and is subject to a fee. Questions and answers, test items, test protocols, and scoring information may not be photocopied, stored, posted online, etc. regardless of the number of lines or items involved. Test copies may not be bound in theses, dissertations, or reports placed in libraries, in regulatory submissions, in articles, texts, or made accessible to the public (“Publications”). MHS will consider requests to reproduce items in the Publications, provided that the request is to reproduce the lesser of six or 20% of items.
MHS will consider requests to reproduce, modify, create customized versions, incorporate items in a battery of assessments, or translate part or all of any of MHS’ tests in research studies, except for the following tests:
- Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT™)
- MSCEIT: Youth Version (MSCEIT: YV™)
- Emotional Quotient Inventory 2.0 (EQ-i 2.0®)
- Emotional Quotient-360 (EQ-360®)
- Emotional Quotient Interview (EQ Interview®)
- Level of Service Inventory–Revised (LSI–R™)
- Level of Service/Case Management Inventory (LS/CMI™)
- Youth Level of Service/Case Management Inventory (YLS/CMI™)
- Level of Service/Risk, Need, Responsivity (LS/RNR™)
- Hare Psychopathy Checklist–Revised (PCL–R™)
- Hare Psychopathy Checklist–Revised: 2nd Edition (PCL–R™ 2nd Ed.)
- And any non-MHS published assessment
Requests to reproduce (in research or publications) or to translate must be submitted to MHS by completing the appropriate application:
Once these forms have been signed please:
- Fax to the attention of Permissions at 416-492-3343 or 1-888-540-4484
- Or send by mail to: MHS Permissions Department – 3770 Victoria Park Avenue, Toronto, ON M2H 3M6
- Or sign, scan, and email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once approved and the license fee paid, any reproduction must include acknowledgement of the source, including author, test, publisher, and copyright notice. You will be responsible for incurring the cost of making paper copies. Please note that the right to reproduce copies does not include the right to score the assessment using MHS software or MHS online services. If you intend to hand score you must purchase and use the relevant manual. You should contact Client Services for options regarding scoring of test data from your research study prior to use. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to inquire about a research discount or technical information about an assessment tool.
Trademark Holder Recognition
- ABAS”, “ADI–R”, “ASDS”, “CARS”, and “RCMAS-2” are trademarks of Western Psychological Services.
- “UNIT” and “DAR” are trademarks of PRO-ED Inc..
- “DSM-IV” and “DSM-5” are a trademark of the American Psychiatric Association.
- “Bender” is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Company.
- “MATRICS” and “MCCB” are trademarks of MATRICS.
- “Microsoft,” “MS,” “MSDOS,” “Windows,” “Windows 95,” “Windows NT,” and “Windows 2000” are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Prior to the commencement of any project relating to the translation of any MHS copyrighted product, interested parties must submit a letter of intent, Curriculum Vitae for each of the translators involved. Furthermore, permission to begin the translation project is subject to the discretion of MHS and/or the author(s) of the material(s) to be translated.
Minimum Requirements for the Authorization of a Translation to Be Awarded:
- Two translators must independently translate the items from the original to the target language.
- The translators must be fluently bilingual in the original and target languages, and must have a strong psychology background.
- Previous experience in translating and subsequent publication of this work is preferable. Potential translators are encouraged to submit reprints along with their Curriculum Vitae.
- Once the initial translations are completed, discussions with regards to inconsistencies must take place and a composite translation produced.
- Once a final translation into the target language has been agreed upon, a minimum of two translators (also fluently bilingual with a psychology background) must independently back-translate this version into the original language. The back translations must be compared and inconsistencies resolved so as to produce a final back translation by the translators.
- The original and back-translation are to be compared and inconsistencies corrected. The entire process must be repeated until all translators judge the items to be identical in content and meaning.
- A copy of all drafts of the translation and back-translation must be sent to MHS’ Department of Legal Affairs for our records. However, MHS will not assess the front or back translation for accuracy or consistency. The final submitted translation will be noted as a research version and not as an official MHS translation.
- MHS reserves the right to grant or deny permission to anyone wishing to conduct a translation of MHS published materials for research. Please note that MHS does not provide permission to translate the Mayer Salovey Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT™), MSCEIT Youth Version (MSCEIT YV) the Emotional Quotient-Inventory (EQ-i®), Emotional Quotient 360 (EQ360), Emotional Quotient Interview (EQ Interview), the Level of Service Inventory,-Revised (LSI-R), Level of Service/Case Management Inventory (LS/CMI), Youth Level of Service/ Case Management Inventory (YLS/CMI), Hare Psychopathy Checklist (PCL-R) and any non MHS published assessment.
- Any translation of MHS material remains copyrighted by MHS and indication of such (via the copyright notice) must be printed on each copy of the translation (including the form, manual, test booklet, software, etc.).
- The author(s) of the original version must be credited near the title on any translated instrument.
- Any inquiries regarding translated versions of MHS material must be directed to MHS.
- The translator must agree to follow the Translation Policy as set out above by way of agreement if the request to Translate is accepted by MHS.
Send your Letter of Intent to Translate to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to: 416-493-3343 (attention Translation and Contracts Administrator)