The DESSA Comprehensive System is comprised of two innovative rating scales designed to screen, assess, guide intervention planning, monitor progress, and evaluate outcomes related to social-emotional competence and resilience of students grades K-8.
The two-part system designed to help school and after-school program staff promote the healthy social-emotional development of all children. First, use the universal screener, the DESSA-mini, to evaluate all children in your class. Then administer the DESSA to those children identified as at risk for social-emotional difficulties. The DESSA is a thorough assessment of social-emotional competencies that provides a variety of tools to chart and communicate results, monitor progress, and evaluate outcomes.
The DESSA-mini consists of four different 8-item formsprovides one score, the Social-Emotional Total. The DESSA-mini enables teachers and staff to screen each child’s social-emotional competence in about one minute, or an entire classroom in one planning period.
The DESSA is a behavior rating scale that assesses skills related to social-emotional competence, resilience, and academic success of children in kindergarten through 8th grade, between the ages of 4 to 14. The DESSA can be used to:
- Identify social-emotional strengths and needs of elementary and middle school children
- Produce classroom profiles that guide universal prevention and promotion strategies
- Identify at-risk children who have specific social-emotional needs
- Produce individual student profiles that guide targeted prevention strategies
- For special education students, identify important strengths that can be incorporated into Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- Evaluate social-emotional learning outcomes at the child, class, grade, school, and district level
Back to the top
Back to the top
- Personal Responsibility
- Optimistic Thinking
- Goal-Directed Behavior
- Social Awareness
- Decision Making
- Relationship Skills